Saturday, December 30, 2006

'Japan is not lovable, but it's supremely interesting'

Donald Richie in the Japan Times:
'People say, "When did you fall in love with Japan?" I never did; Japan is not lovable, but it's supremely interesting. I put a great prestige on learning, and in Japan you learn something new every day.'

Donald Richie. A lifetime’s observations (JT – 2006/12/28)

I cannot agree more. I live only in Japan since 1997. Donald Richie is 82 years old, almost 60 years in Japan. If he says it, I can be assured that it is impossible to get bored in this country. Everyday something new to learn.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't get me wrong, I love Donald Richie, but one thing that sort of bugs me about him is that he never learned to read and write Japanese (think I read in a recent JT interview). He also never married a Japanese person, which is where I think the love comes in. Family connections and that sort of thing.

Anonymous said...

In my opinion: the fact known as "love" is experienced different by every person, the man says he doesn't love Japan, yet he loves the fact that he learns something new everyday. What I'm trying to say is that everyone who loves Japan, loves it for his/her own reason. For example: I love Japan for the rich culture, the history, the movies and the music. A friend of mine loves Japan for the art, the lifestyle and also the anime's (which we both like).

Anonymous said...

There is also th idea of "rootedness', one's connection to the soil or community where one lives. Donald Richie never found that. He often remarks that he feels like an outsider in Japan, but that this is helpful, because he would never be able to stay in the country in he were forced to be accountable to the same responsibilities as Japanese people.

I was self-employed during my time in Japan (I employed four or five Japanese part-timers) so I never had to worry about working late or whatever. But I paid my NHK fees. I took part in neighbourhood cleanup. I cleaned the neighbourhood garbage station when it was my turn.

I did it because I was expected to do so. It was a pain, but I did it. And I found Japan a loveable country.